Do you want to know how to transfer airtime on MTN in Nigeria? You are where you need to be. In this guide, you’ll learn the top 3 ways to share MTN airtime from your phone whenever you want.
MTN is, without a doubt, one of the best phone companies in Nigeria. Many people love it because of how flexible it is, how reliable its network is, how wide its coverage is, how cheap its rates are, and how well it treats its customers.
They have an MTN Share feature that lets users send airtime credits to any other MTN user.
Transferring Airtime On MTN
MTN Share, which used to be called MTN Share “N” Sell, is a service that lets MTN users share and transfer airtime credit with other MTN users.
No matter why you want to share airtime on MTN, these three ways are the best ways to do it. Interestingly, all prepaid and postpaid MTN customers can share airtime for free.
You can share between 50 Naira and 5,000 Naira in a single transaction and up to 100,000 Naira daily. But you must change the default PIN on MTN Nigeria before transferring airtime.
What is the MTN transfer default PIN?
0000 is the default PIN for an MTN transfer. But if you want to use the MTN Share service, you need to change or reset this MTN transfer default pin to your pin that you can remember.
How To Get An MTN Transfer PIN
The default PIN for MTN users is 0000, which is the same for everyone.
With this PIN code, it is not possible to share airtime.
If you want to transfer MTN airtime, change your MTN default code.
Here’s what you need to do to get an MTN transfer pin.
Call customer service at 300, wait to be put through, and explain why you’re calling. They will ask you a few questions and tell you what to do. Most of the time, you’ll get your new MTN transfer pin in less than 24 hours.
Just send “YES” to 556. MTN will send you a message to welcome you to MTN Share and tell you that your new PIN is 0000 by default. Send a message to 556 with the default and new pins, like 0000 9234 9234. This means that your new PIN is 9234. After that, you’ll get a message that your PIN has been changed.
- Use of SMS
Send Default PIN, New PIN, and New PIN to 777. For example, type “0000 9234 9234” into an SMS and send it to “777.” This means that the new pin is 9234.
- USSD Code
Enter *777*Default PIN*New PIN*New PIN# and send. Dial *777*0000*9234*9234#, for example, and then send/OK. Your new PIN is the number 9234.
If you use any of the above methods to change the default MTN Share PIN, you will get an SMS that the PIN was changed successfully.
How To Transfer Airtime On Mtn In 3 Easy Ways
To transfer MTN Airtime, you need a PIN. We’ve already shown you how to get one, so the next step is to transfer the airtime.
You can use any of the following ways to transfer airtime on MTN:
1. How to Use SMS to Transfer Airtime
To use SMS to transfer airtime, open your message box and send Transfer, Recipient’s Number, Amount, and PIN to 777.
For example, if you want to send airtime to 08062234569, you can send an SMS to 777 that says, “Transfer 08062234569 1500 9234.”
When you send this message, you will get an SMS asking you to confirm that you want to make the transfer by sending an SMS with the word “YES” to 777.
2. How to Move Airtime Using USSD Code
Dial *777*Recipient’s Number*Amount*PIN# on your phone, and then click on send or press OK. Dial *777*08062234569*1500*1234#, for example, and then send/OK.
When the transfer is done, you will get a message telling you it was successful.
3. How to send airtime using the MTN app
It’s easy to share airtime with the MTN App. Check out the steps below.
- Download the MTN app from the Google Play store or iOS for iPhone.
- Sign up by going through the steps.
- Scroll down to “Quick Access” after logging into the MTN app.
- Click “Share Airtime”
- Enter the phone number of the person you want to share your airtime credit with.
- Type in your Pin to Share
- Type the amount
- Click Proceed to send after you confirm the transaction.
The terms and conditions of MTN Share
Here are some things for postpaid and prepaid customers to consider before using MTN share for the first time.
- On MTN Nigeria, you can only transfer airtime in Naira amounts, not Kobo amounts. For example, you can transfer NGN61.00 but not NGN61.99.
- You can only send anywhere from NGN 50 to NGN 5,000 in one transaction.
- As an MTN customer, you can transfer up to NGN 100,000.00 daily, but you must do it in multiple transactions or to different MTN accounts daily.
- You can do as many transactions as you want daily if you don’t spend more than NGN100,000 daily.
- Before you can transfer airtime on an MTN prepaid account, you need to have airtime credit. If you don’t, the transaction won’t go through, and you’ll get an error message.
- If you have MTN postpaid, you can only transfer airtime when your account is in the black. When your account is in the red (-), you won’t be able to transfer airtime. For example, if the amount in your account is N300. MTN Share will not work for you. On the other hand, if your account balance is N1,000.00, you can transfer as much airtime as your account balance allows.
FAQs On How to Transfer Airtime On MTN In Nigeria
Below are the commonly asked questions about transferring airtime on MTN.
How can I transfer airtime from MTN to Airtel?
How to transfer Airtime from MTN to Airtel using a USSD code Switch to the MTN network on your phone. Dial *600*recipient’s Airtel number * airtime amount* your transfer PIN# (e.g. *600*08137699466*100*0000#). You will receive a verification message to confirm the transaction.
How do I share and sell airtime on MTN?
Using MTN Share and Sell code On your mobile phone, dial *777*recipient’s number*amount*PIN#, then click on send or press OK, e.g. *777*08031234567*1500*1234# and then send OK.
How Do I send data on MTN?
You can now transfer data from your existing data balance to your family & friends. Simply dial *312*Phone number*Data amount# or text Transfer<space>Phone number<space>Data amount to 312.
The maximum amount you can transfer in a day is 3GB.
Can I send data from MTN to Airtel?
Even though you can’t transfer data from MTN to Airtel, there are more convenient ways to get airtime without USSD codes.
Related: How to Migrate to MTN Biz Plus
How to Transfer Airtime On MTN (Conclusion)
There is no doubt that you need to know how to transfer airtime on MTN in case of an emergency. Either you or your friend could run out of airtime. Using any of the above ways can help you figure out how to send airtime to another MTN user.
To get started, you’ll need to change the default transfer code. You can do this by sending a text message dialing a code. Whichever makes the most sense is fine.
Has this feature by the MTN telecom network been useful in anyway? Let’s have your comments in the box provided below.