So, I thought about it and asked, “which are the top 10 best live streaming apps in 2023?” In an era where the digital landscape continually evolves, live streaming has become an influential form of online content consumption, providing real-time connections and immersive experiences to audiences worldwide.
As technology advances, user preferences shift, and the competitive landscape transforms, it is imperative to embark on a comprehensive journey through the top live-streaming apps of 2023.
Just as I have done in my in-depth review of the top 10 best loan apps in Nigeria, this thorough examination of the top apps for live streaming encompasses the features that define these platforms and their impact on the creators who shape digital communities and the audiences who engage with them.
Whether you’re an aspiring content creator seeking the perfect platform or an informed enthusiast, our analysis will empower you to make informed decisions in the ever-evolving world of live streaming.
Join me as I unravel the tapestry of the Top 10 Best Live Streaming Apps and embark on a journey that celebrates the digital age’s most captivating, real-time experiences.
Which Are the Top Live Streaming Apps in 2023?
I’ve listed and explained in detail the top ten live-streaming apps in the world currently:
- YouTube Live
- Facebook Live Streaming
- Instagram Live
- Bigo Live
Now, let’s give you more details about each of these live streaming apps.
Twitch is best known for its live video game streaming. Gamers worldwide broadcast their gameplay in real time, and viewers can watch, interact, and chat with the streamers.
Key Features of Twitch
- Content Variety: While gaming remains a core focus, Twitch has diversified its content offerings to include categories like “Just Chatting,” music, art, and cooking, making it more versatile for streamers.
- Interactive Chat: One of the platform’s key features is its live chat, where viewers can engage with the streamer and each other. Emotes, reactions, and badges are commonly used in conversations.
- Twitch Prime: Twitch offers a premium subscription service called Twitch Prime, which includes free monthly channel subscriptions, in-game loot, and other benefits. It’s linked to Amazon Prime.
- Monetization: Streamers can earn revenue through multiple channels, including subscriptions, ads, donations, affiliate marketing, and merchandise sales.
Also Read: Top 10 Reliable Football Prediction Sites
Community and Figures
- Active User Base: As of 2023, Twitch had over 140 million monthly active users, with millions of daily active streamers and viewers.
- Partner Program: Twitch has a Partner Program for established streamers, allowing them to monetize their content more effectively. Partners can earn from ads, subscribers, and bits (a virtual currency).Becoming a Twitch Partner is a significant milestone for streamers committed to their craft and ready to take their streaming journey to the next level beyond being an Affiliate. Twitch Partners are a diverse group of creators who share various forms of content, ranging from gaming, music, talk shows, art, and much more.
Twitch Daily Active Users
- More than 2,450,000 people are watching Twitch at any given time.
- Twitch has 31 million daily active users (DAUs).
- Around 103,000 people are streaming on Twitch at any given time
- The best days to stream are Sundays. With Saturdays being the second best.
- Twitch observes the least amount of viewers on Mondays.
If you’re passionate about sharing your live content with an engaged community and have already built a substantial audience on Twitch or other platforms, we’re interested in hearing from you!
Do Twitch Partners Get Paid?
Twitch Partners enjoy a rewarding monetization system, primarily through their subscription payments. Typically, when viewers subscribe for $4.99 per month, Twitch Partners receive a generous 50% of this amount, with the remaining 50% going to Twitch itself.
Higher-tier subscription options are also available, with monthly contributions of $9.99 and $24.99, further enhancing a Partner’s revenue potential.
How to Qualify for the Twitch Partnership Program
To qualify for the prestigious Twitch Partnership Program, you’ll first need to achieve the status of Twitch Affiliate. This requires a proven track record of adhering to Twitch’s Terms of Service and community guidelines. However, becoming a Partner involves meeting additional criteria related to your audience and engagement:
- 1,000 Followers: You should have a dedicated audience of at least 1,000 followers, showcasing your ability to attract and retain viewers.
- 25 Hours Broadcasted in the Past 30 Days: Demonstrating your commitment to streaming, you must have broadcasted for at least 25 hours over the last 30 days, indicating consistent and active content creation.
Twitch has a unique culture with its emotes and chat culture, allowing viewers and streamers to create their own emotes for personalization.
- Esports and Events: Twitch is a go-to platform for esports tournaments and live gaming events. It hosts significant gaming events like TwitchCon and Twitch Rivals.
- Twitch Studio: Twitch offers its broadcasting software, Twitch Studio, to simplify the streaming process for newcomers.
- Ownership: Twitch is owned by Amazon, which acquired the platform for $970 Million in 2014.
- Global Reach: Twitch is a global platform, and streams are available in multiple languages. It allows users to connect with audiences from around the world.
- Innovation and Future Growth: Twitch continues to innovate with features like “Raiding” (sending your viewers to another stream), “Clips” (short video highlights), and integrations with games.
2. YouTube Live
YouTube Live is a feature of YouTube that allows content creators to broadcast live videos to their subscribers and viewers.
Beyond live gaming streams, YouTube Live is versatile and supports a wide range of content, including tutorials, vlogs, live events, music performances, and more.
- Interactive Chat: Viewers can engage with the live stream through the chat feature, allowing them to comment and interact with the streamer and other viewers in real-time.
- YouTube Premieres: Creators can use the “Premieres” feature to schedule and promote a live-like video release. This combines the excitement of live events with pre-recorded content.
- Monetization: YouTube Live provides several monetization options for creators, including ads, Super Chat, and channel memberships. Creators can also use merchandise shelf integration.
Community and Figures
- Massive User Base: YouTube is one of the largest video-sharing platforms globally, with 2.70 Billion logged-in monthly users as of 2023.
- YouTube Partner Program: Creators can apply to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP), which allows them to monetize their content. YPP eligibility includes having at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours in the past 12 months.
- Super Chat: Super Chat is a feature that allows viewers to pay to have their messages highlighted during a live stream. Creators receive a share of the revenue generated through Super Chat.
- Channel Memberships: Creators can offer channel memberships to subscribers for a monthly fee, providing exclusive perks and access.
- Merchandise Shelf: YouTube Live integrates a merchandise shelf where creators can promote and sell their merchandise directly under their live streams.
- Ownership: YouTube is owned by Jawed Karim, Chad Hurley, and Steve Chen.
- Global Reach: YouTube is accessible worldwide and supports multiple languages, making it easy for creators to reach a global audience.
- Innovation and Future Growth: YouTube continues to innovate with features such as Premieres, Shorts (short-form videos), and improved live streaming tools. The platform is expected to evolve further in the coming years.
3. Facebook Live Streaming
Facebook Live is a dynamic and engaging live-streaming platform that Meta Platforms, Inc. (formerly Facebook, Inc.) offers.
It enables users, including individuals, businesses, and organizations, to broadcast live video content directly to their Facebook profiles, pages, groups, or events.
Facebook Live has become a powerful tool for connecting with audiences, sharing real-time experiences, and fostering meaningful interactions with viewers.
- Live Broadcasting on Facebook: Facebook Live allows users to broadcast live video directly to their Facebook profiles, pages, groups, or events.
- Real-Time Interaction: During a live stream, viewers can engage with the broadcaster through real-time comments, reactions (like love, haha, etc.), and sharing the stream with their Facebook friends.
- Scheduled Live: Creators can schedule live streams in advance, promoting their upcoming broadcasts to their audience.
- Multi-Platform Streaming: Facebook Live can be streamed from various devices, including smartphones, tablets, and computers, making it accessible to many users.
- Monetization Options: Facebook Live offers monetization opportunities for creators through features like Fan Subscriptions, Brand Collabs Manager, and ad breaks (availability depends on location and eligibility).
Community and Figures
- Colossal User Base: Facebook has over 2.8 billion monthly active users, making it one of the largest social media platforms globally.
- Facebook Gaming: Facebook Live is viral among gamers, as it’s integrated with Facebook Gaming, allowing gamers to stream their gameplay and interact with viewers.
- Monetization for Creators: Facebook introduced various ways for creators to monetize their live streams, such as Fan Subscriptions, which allow viewers to support creators with monthly payments.
- Real-World Events: Facebook Live has been used to broadcast real-world events, news updates, product launches, and more, allowing businesses and organizations to connect with their audience in real-time.
- Global Reach: Facebook is accessible worldwide, making it easy for creators to reach a diverse, global audience.
- Ownership: Facebook is owned by Meta Platforms, Inc., formerly known as Facebook, Inc.
- Innovation and Future Growth: Facebook continually innovates its live streaming features, offering new tools and enhancements to improve the live streaming experience for creators and viewers. Facebook invested in virtual and augmented reality technologies, which might have further implications for the platform’s live streaming capabilities.
Do Facebook Live Streamers Get Paid?
Facebook Live streamers have the potential to earn income from their broadcasts. In the United States, it’s estimated that streamers typically make between $2 to $5 per thousand views, known as CPM (Cost Per Mille).
So, if your Facebook Live stream garners around 10,000 views, you can expect to earn approximately $20 to $50 from that particular stream.
While this may seem modest, the earnings can accumulate over time, especially when you incorporate brand sponsorships and partnerships into your streaming strategy. This additional revenue can significantly boost your overall profits as a Facebook Live streamer.
Periscope is one of the leading live streaming apps that enables users to broadcast live video from their mobile devices.
- Real-Time Interaction: Viewers can engage with the broadcaster and other viewers through real-time comments and “hearts” (similar to likes).
- Global Accessibility: Periscope allows users to broadcast their live streams to a global audience, making it easy to connect with people worldwide.
- Save Broadcasts: Users have the option to save their live broadcasts, making them available for replay for up to 24 hours after the live stream ends.
- Twitter Integration: Periscope is closely integrated with Twitter, allowing users to share their live streams on the Twitter platform easily.
Community and Figures
- Owned by Twitter: Periscope was acquired by Twitter in 2015, which integrated Periscope broadcasts directly into the Twitter timeline.
- Active Users: Periscope has over 10 million active users and is used by individuals, influencers, and even news organizations to share live content. It also boasts a jaw-dropping 200 million broadcasts.
- Broadcast Analytics: Periscope offers analytics for broadcasters, including viewer engagement metrics and insights into the reach of their live streams.
- Explore Section: The platform has an “Explore” section where users can discover popular live streams and trending topics.
- Super Broadcasters: Periscope introduced the “Super Broadcaster” program, allowing creators to earn money through virtual gifts and Super Hearts sent by viewers.
- Global Reach: Periscope’s global accessibility enables broadcasters to connect with viewers from various countries and cultures.
- Innovation and Future Growth: Periscope continually worked on improving its live-streaming features and introduced innovations like Super Hearts to enhance the user experience.
5. Instagram Live
Instagram Live is a feature within the Instagram app that allows users to broadcast live videos to their followers.
- Real-Time Interaction: Viewers can join the live stream and interact with the broadcaster by leaving comments and sending “hearts” to express appreciation.
- Visibility: Live videos appear prominently in the Instagram Stories section, notifying followers when a live stream begins, increasing discoverability.
- Dual Live: Instagram Live allows collaboration with another user, enabling joint live broadcasts with two participants.
- Save and Share: Users can save their live videos to their Stories, making them available 24 hours after the live stream ends. They can also download the video for permanent storage or share it on other platforms.
Community and Figures
- Massive User Base: Instagram, which includes Instagram Live, has over 2.35 billion monthly active users as of 2023, making it one of the most popular social media platforms globally. The platform is estimated to reach over 2.5 billion by Fall 2023. 47.84% of the world’s 4.18 billion smartphone users access Instagram monthly.
- Engagement: Live videos have higher engagement rates than regular posts, creating a sense of urgency and real-time connection with followers.
- Influencer and Brand Usage: Instagram Live is widely used by influencers and brands for product launches, Q&A sessions, behind-the-scenes content, and more.
- Monetization: Creators can use Instagram Live to promote products or services, drive traffic to external monetization channels, or engage with sponsors.
- Global Reach: Instagram Live’s global accessibility allows users to connect with audiences worldwide, making it a valuable tool for personal and brand exposure.
- Innovation and Future Growth: Instagram continuously introduced new features and updates to enhance the live streaming experience, such as the ability to turn off comments, share live streams with Close Friends only, and add interactive features like polls.
Also Read: Top 10 Best Payment Apps in Nigeria
YouNow is an American live-streaming broadcasting service that allows users to stream their own live video content or engage with the live video streams of other users in real-time.
The platform is accessible through its website and dedicated Android and iOS mobile applications.
- Discover and Follow Creators: Users can discover various content and creators. They can follow their favorite broadcasters to receive notifications when they go live.
- Virtual Gifts and Props: Viewers can send virtual gifts and props to broadcasters to support them. Creators earn a share of the revenue generated from these gifts.
- Guests and Collaborations: YouNow allows guest broadcasts, where two or more broadcasters can collaborate in a live stream.
- Levels and Achievements: Users can level up and unlock achievements by actively participating in the community, encouraging engagement.
Community and Figures
- Global User Base: YouNow currently has a diverse user base, numbering 40 million worldwide.
- Virtual Gifting Economy: The platform has a virtual gifting economy, where viewers purchase virtual gifts using real money to send to their favorite broadcasters. Creators receive a portion of the earnings from these virtual gifts.
- Partnerships: The YouNow Partner Program recognizes and rewards exceptionally talented individuals who have demonstrated dedication and perseverance and have successfully cultivated a dedicated audience on the platform.
To apply, you must have:
- Minimum of 15 hours broadcasted during the last two months
- Minimum of 1 Million likes earned over the previous three months
- No major Community Rule violations.
Moderation: The platform has moderation tools to ensure users a safe and enjoyable streaming environment.
Broadcasting Categories: YouNow covers various content categories, from music and gaming to talk shows and personal vlogs.
Monetization: Creators on YouNow can earn revenue through various means, including virtual gifts, sponsorships, and brand partnerships.
Global Reach: YouNow is accessible to users worldwide, allowing creators to connect with audiences from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
LiveMe is one of the live streaming apps that allows users to broadcast live video from their mobile devices and watch the live broadcasts of fellow members. Users can engage in real-time viewing and commenting during live broadcasts or watch saved videos on a member’s profile later.
- Virtual Gifts and Rewards: The platform features a virtual gifting system where viewers can send virtual gifts to broadcasters to support them. Hosts earn revenue from these virtual gifts.
- Interactive Features: LiveMe offers interactive features like live chat, comments, and the ability for broadcasters to engage with their viewers in real time.
- Game Show and Contests: The platform hosts interactive game shows, contests, and challenges, often with cash prizes for participants.
- Social Networking: Users can follow their favorite broadcasters, send friend requests, and build a social network within the platform.
Community and Figures
- Global User Base: LiveMe boasts more than 75 million users from around the world.
- Virtual Gifting Economy: The platform has a thriving virtual gifting economy, with viewers purchasing virtual gifts using real money to support their favorite broadcasters. Creators earn a share of the revenue from these gifts.
- Monthly Active Users: LiveMe has a total of 5 million monthly active users who engage with live content and virtual gifting.
- Content Variety: LiveMe covers various content categories, including gaming, entertainment, talent shows, and personal vlogs.
- Monetization: Creators on LiveMe can monetize their content through virtual gifts, which serve as a primary source of income. Additionally, there are opportunities for sponsored content and collaborations.
- Global Reach: LiveMe is accessible to users worldwide, allowing creators to connect with audiences from different countries and cultures.
Streamlabs, known initially as TwitchAlerts, is a software company headquartered in California. Founded in 2014, the company specializes in developing and distributing various livestreaming software solutions.
Streamlabs offers a diverse range of products and services tailored to the needs of content creators and live streamers:
- Streamlabs Desktop: This software is designed to optimize and streamline the live streaming experience, offering broadcasters a comprehensive suite of tools to enhance their content.
- CrossClip: CrossClip serves as a video converter, enabling users to easily convert and edit videos, ensuring compatibility across various platforms.
- Melon: Streamlabs’ Melon is a podcast streaming service that allows podcasters to reach and engage with their audience through seamless streaming.
- Oslo: Oslo is a video editing tool empowering creators to edit and refine their video content for polished and professional results.
- Willow: Willow is a website builder offered by Streamlabs, providing an intuitive platform for users to create and customize their websites.
Streamlabs has established itself as a comprehensive solution provider for content creators, offering a range of software tools and services to enhance the live streaming and content creation process.
- Streaming Tools: Streamlabs offers a suite of streaming tools, including overlays, alerts, and widgets, designed to enhance the quality and interactivity of live streams.
- Alerts: Creators can set up alerts for events such as new followers, subscribers, donations, and more. These visually engaging alerts can be customized to match the streamer’s branding.
- Overlays: Streamlabs provides customizable overlays that can be added to the stream to display information like chat, recent events, and donation goals, creating a more engaging viewer experience.
- Widgets: Creators can add various devices to their streams, including donation tickers, chat boxes, and social media integrations, to encourage interaction and engagement.
- Integration: Streamlabs integrates with popular streaming platforms like Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook Gaming, making it compatible with many content creators.
Community and Figures
- Active Users: Streamlabs has 2 million active users, including streamers and content creators from various platforms.
- Twitch Integration: Streamlabs was widely used by Twitch streamers to enhance the visual and interactive aspects of their streams.
- Monetization: While Streamlabs itself does not directly monetize content, it plays a crucial role in helping creators enhance their streams and, in turn, potentially increase their revenue through donations, subscriptions, and ad revenue on streaming platforms.
- Open Source: Streamlabs OBS, a popular streaming software, is open source, allowing for community contributions and customization.
- Ownership: Streamlabs was acquired by Logitech in 2019, demonstrating its importance in the streaming and content creation space.
- Innovation and Future Growth: Streamlabs continued to innovate with new features and updates to improve the streaming experience for creators. They also offered mobile apps to allow streamers to manage their streams on the go.
DLive is an American video live-streaming service that was founded in 2017. In 2019, it was acquired by BitTorrent. Known for its unique approach to live streaming, DLive has garnered attention for its innovations and challenges.
DLive has faced controversy due to perceived lax enforcement of prohibited content guidelines. Consequently, it has gained popularity among various extremist groups, conspiracy theorists, and gamers seeking an alternative to mainstream platforms.
- Blockchain Integration: DLive utilizes blockchain technology, initially operating on the Steemit blockchain. Later, in September 2018, it transitioned to the Lino network. Following its acquisition by BitTorrent, it adopted the TRON network.
- Content Variety: DLive offers a wide range of content categories, attracting gamers as an alternative to platforms like Twitch.
- DLive Token (DLive): DLive has its cryptocurrency token called DLive, which is used for various transactions and rewards within the platform.
- Stake-Based Voting: Users can stake DLive tokens to vote on content and influence the distribution of rewards among content creators.
- No Platform Cuts: DLive’s unique selling point is that it claims to take zero platform cuts from content creators’ earnings, allowing creators to keep more revenue.
Community and Figures
- Active Users: DLive has a 5 million active user base of creators and viewers with a growing presence in the live streaming community.
- DLive Partner Program: DLive offers a Partner Program where content creators can apply and potentially earn from various monetization options, including donations, subscriptions, and virtual gifts.
- DLive Treasure Chests: Viewers can receive DLive Treasure Chests while watching streams. These chests contain rewards in the form of DLive tokens.
- Ownership: DLive was acquired by BitTorrent, a subsidiary of TRON (a blockchain platform), in late 2019.
- Global Accessibility: DLive is accessible globally, allowing users to connect with audiences from different countries and cultures.
Related: Top 10 Free Crypto Mining Apps
10. Bigo Live
BIGO LIVE is one of the live streaming apps that enables users to broadcast live video content, share their experiences, and interact with viewers in real-time.
- Virtual Gifts and Rewards: Viewers can send virtual gifts to content creators to support them. Creators earn revenue from these virtual gifts.
- Interactive Feature: The platform includes interactive features like live chat, comments, and the ability for viewers to send gifts and stickers during broadcasts.
- Game Shows and Contests: BIGO LIVE hosts various interactive game shows and contests, often with cash prizes and giveaways for participants.
- Social Networking: Users can follow, befriend, and interact with their favorite broadcasters and other users on the platform.
Community and Figures
- Global User Base: BIGO LIVE has a diverse and global user base of 36.6 million active users.
- Virtual Gifting Economy: The platform operates a virtual gifting system where viewers purchase virtual gifts using real money, with creators earning a share of the revenue.
- Monetization: Creators can monetize their content through virtual gifts, sponsorships, and brand collaborations.
- Content Variety: BIGO LIVE covers a wide range of content categories, including gaming, entertainment, talent shows, and personal vlogs.
- Ownership: BIGO LIVE is owned by Singapore-based BIGO Technology.
How to Build a Video Streaming App in 2023?
Building a video streaming app in 2023 involves several key steps:
- Define Your Target Audience: Identify who your app is intended for, such as gamers, movie enthusiasts, or educational content consumers.
- Conduct Market Research and set Monetization Strategy: Research your target market competitors and determine how you’ll monetize your app, whether through subscriptions, ads, or in-app purchases.
- Select a Reliable Streaming Platform: Choose a robust and scalable streaming platform for video delivery. Options include AWS Media Services, Wowza, or building a custom solution.
- Design the UI & UX: Create an intuitive and user-friendly interface for your app to ensure a seamless viewing experience.
- Test and Optimize: Thoroughly test your app for performance, security, and usability. Optimize it based on user feedback.
- Launch the App: Once your app is ready, launch it on app stores like Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Promote it to your target audience.
Which live-streaming platform has the most viewers?
As of 2023, the live streaming platform with the most viewers can vary depending on region and content.
Popular platforms like Twitch, YouTube Live, and Facebook Live have a large and diverse user base, but the specific number of viewers may change dynamically.
Which live TV app has the most channels?
fuboTV stands out as the live TV streaming service with the most channels in the industry. It offers various channels covering news, sports, lifestyle, kids, entertainment, and more. Notably, it provides an extensive selection of sports channels, making it a top choice for enthusiasts.
What streaming service has the most subscribers in 2023?
According to July 2023 statistics, Netflix holds the title of the most subscribed OTT (Over-The-Top) platform globally, boasting over 231 million subscribers worldwide. This makes Netflix the leading platform in terms of subscribers in 2023.
Best Live Streaming Apps (Summary)
Live streaming apps have experienced remarkable growth and innovation in recent years. The Top 10 Best Live Streaming Apps in 2023 offer diverse features, catering to a wide range of content creators and audiences.
From gaming-focused platforms like Twitch and YouTube Live to versatile and interactive options like Facebook Live and Instagram Live, each app brings unique strengths.
These platforms empower creators to engage with global audiences in real-time, fostering connections, entertainment, and monetization opportunities.
As the live streaming landscape continues to evolve, these Top 10 apps have solidified their positions as leaders in the industry, promising exciting possibilities for content creators and viewers alike.
Whether you’re a gamer, an artist, an educator, or simply looking to share your experiences, these apps provide the tools and platforms to bring your content to life and connect with an ever-expanding online community.
In 2023 and beyond, live streaming holds vast potential, promising new horizons for content creators and viewers who embrace it.